Single Use Plastics (SUP)
Enter surcharge and extended producer responsibility information
Through GS1 Data Source, it's possible to share information on Single Use Plastics (SUP) with customers, think about the additional price or if you want to comply with the extended producer responsibility. For more information on regulations and which products are Single Use Plastics, visit the website of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management and Stichting Afvalfonds Verpakkingen ('Packaging Waste Fund').
From 1 July 2023, a surcharge will apply to single-use plastic cups and food packaging from which food can be eaten directly without further preparation of the food. See exactly which packaging is affected.
Exchange information via GS1 Data Source
You will find all available fields in the data model. You fill in the surcharge in the field 'dutyFeeTaxClassificationCode' with the code lists:
- SUP_FEE_APPLICABLE (SUP Surcharge applicable)
- SUP_FEE_NOT_APPLICABLE (SUP Surcharge not applicable)
Extended producer responsibility
Since 3 July 2021, the European Single Use Plastic Directive ('SUP Directive') has been in force. This includes the extended producer responsibility that has applied since January 2023. This requires producers to pay a contribution to the Packaging Waste Fund to reimburse public area managers for the cost of cleaning up litter. See more information on the ministry's website.
Getting started in 4 steps
In the data model, you will find all available fields. Use the roadmap below to comply with extended producer responsibility:
Fill in two fields with a fixed value
- Enter the value 'SUP' in the field 'Additional trade item classification code value' (additionalTradeItemClassificationCodeValue).
- Enter the value '8 (A manufacturer's own codification system)' in the field 'Additional trade item classification system code' (additionalTradeItemClassificationSystemCode).
Indicate whether the item meets the definition of Single Use Plastics
In the 'SUP Indicator' field (propertyCode), enter the value 'TRUE' if the item meets the definition of Single Use Plastics according to the guideline of the Dutch Packaging Waste Fund Foundation.
Indicate how many units the package consists of
These are all units containing plastic designed to separate from each other before the product is consumed.
- Enter the number of units in the 'Number of SUP' (propertyMeasurement) field.
- Enter the number of units (Code = H87).
Please indicate in which category the item belongs
Indicate in which category the item belongs according to the instruction from the Dutch Packaging Waste Fund Foundation. To do so, use the 'SUP Category' field (propertyDescription) and use one of the following language codes:
- Drinking cup (CUP)
- Food packaging (CONTAINER)
- Wrap (WRAPPER)
- Bag (BAG)
- Bottle (BOTTLE)
- Lid (MEMBER)
- Cutlery (CONSUMPTION_UTENSIL)
- Stirrer (STIRRER)
- Straw (STRAW)